i need to listen to more music. i've never been much of a listener, strangely enough, and these days, most of what i hear is Frog and Toad or 'iodid' (lucy's very early and inexplicable rendition of Overcome Evil With Good, from Steve Green's kid's collection).
tonight, in a (less than successful) effort to concentrate on work, i put on a pair of headphones and turned on the faure and franck sonatas. the passion, the beauty - i almost cried. (we've established that this doesn't take much). i played part of the franck sonata in high school, and had aspirations of learning the rest (on piano) during my brief musical renaissance before the girls were born. chopin nocturnes followed, quietly and piercingly melancholy. less familiar to me, some intricately gorgeous scriabin piano works rounded out the night.
stirring up the shades of another lifetime, it seems. one where i practiced chopin ballades till 2 in the morning, where i brought staff paper to church so i could work out compositions between services, where i somewhat naively perhaps, took up my dream instrument, the cello.
i'm not saying all of that might not be lying dormant somewhere deep down, but for now, maybe i'd better turn the music off. as i said, it has not been a very productive evening for work =)
'iodid', I love it! Does it mean 'I already did"?
ReplyDeleteAnd music, sweet music. Although I find Dave Matthews, Miranda Lambert, Taylor Swift, The Zac Brown Band, and Colbie Calliet to be my 'faure and franck sonatas', I completely agree. Music can: stir the soul, taken you back in time, make you thankful for the present and hopeful for the future. I love the way it speaks, even when there are no words.